college banner

Application Deadlines

Information for Applicants

Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Contact Bernard Robin, Program Coordinator by email at:
Admissions Information

Application Deadlines for Texas Residents and Non-Residents in the US

  • The application deadline for spring admission:
    Master's Program: November 1
    Doctoral Program: no spring admission
    Certificate Program: November 1

  • The application deadline for fall admission:
    Master's Program: May 1
    Doctoral Program: May 1
    Certificate Program: July 1

  • The application deadline for summer admission:
    Master's Program: no summer admission*
    Doctoral Program: no summer admission
    Certificate Program: April 1

*Applicants interested in applying for the master's program and beginning in the summer, can apply for the certificate program and then apply for the master's program for fall or spring.

For further information, please contact Bernard Robin, Program Coordinator, by email at:

Application Deadlines for International Applicants

  • For international applicants, the application deadline for spring admission is August 1 of each year.

  • For international applicants, the application deadline for summer or fall admission is January 1 of each year.

Applying for Admission to ANY OF OUR GRADUATE Programs

Admissions applications must be submitted online through the UH Graduate School menu, at:

Step 1: Complete a graduate application for admissions.

Step 2: Review the information about official documents and supplemental documents.

Step 3: Submit required documents online.

For additional information, please contact:

University of Houston College of Education Office of Graduate Studies
256 Farish Hall
Phone: 713-743-7676

Program Costs and Financial Aid
For information on University of Houston tuition, fees and financial aid, please refer to the University of Houston Costs & Financial Aid website, at:

Baylor College of Medicine employees may be eligible for tuition assistance. For more information, contact the BCM Human Resources/Benefits office.

University of Texas Health Science Center employees may be eligible for reimbursement and time off for job-related training and education. For more information, UT Health employees should review the Handbook of Operating Procedures policy regarding Reimbursement and Time Off for Job-Related Training and Education ( and contact their department.

University of Houston College of Education scholarship information may be found here:

Who is Eligible to Apply for these Programs?
The certificate and master's programs are open to applicants who possess a bachelor's degree or higher, and are currently working or have worked at a healthcare institution, or in private practice.

The executive doctoral program is open to applicants who possess a master's degree or have 30 hours of graduate coursework and are currently working or have worked at a healthcare institution, or in private practice. Physicians, dentists and nurse educators who work in the Texas Medical Center make up a majority of students in this program, however it may also be beneficial for researchers, program coordinators, residents, fellows and others interested in careers in academic medicine.

Admission Criteria
Each applicant must have earned a baccalaureate degree with an overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.6 for undergraduate coursework (A = 4.00) for conditional admission (Certificate and Master's programs only; no conditional admission for doctoral program). Conditionally admitted students must earn a grade point average of at least 3.0 in the first 12 semester hours of graduate work attempted at UH subsequent to admission to remain in the graduate program. Students with an overall GPA of less than 2.6 cannot be admitted.

Graduate Record Exam Requirement
Applicants for the master's or doctoral programs must take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) within five years of the application date.

Admission to graduate programs in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction require the following: 

  1. Admissions applications must be submitted online through the UH Graduate School menu, at:

  2. Applicants should request that one set of official transcripts be sent to:
    University of Houston Graduate School
    More information may be found at:

  3. Applicants should request that official results of the Graduate Record Examination test scores (for master's and doctoral applicants only) be sent to the University of Houston Main Campus.

  4. Fees for master's and doctoral applicants: $45 fee for a domestic application and $75 for an international application must be submitted. There are no domestic or international fees for the certificate program.

Note: Applicants to a graduate program who hold a terminal doctoral degree, including MD, JD, or PhD, from this or any other regionally-accredited domestic institution are not be required to submit GRE/GMAT results as a part of an application packet to the University of Houston, though individual programs may still choose to do require them.

Applicants holding a terminal doctoral degree earned outside of the United States are subject to review by the Graduate School before a waiver of the GRE/GMAT will be granted. The Graduate School must certify whether a doctoral degree earned outside the United States meets them same academic standards as a domestic MD, JD, or PhD.

More Information About GRE Testing
The GRE is offered as a computer-based exam throughout the year at the University of Houston Testing Center on the main campus of the University of Houston. 

Call (713) 743-5386 Monday through Friday to register for the exam at the University of Houston. 

More information about registering for the GRE may be found online at:
testname=GRE - Computer Based

The exam is scored by the Educational Testing Service. Scores are forwarded to the University of Houston from ETS approximately ten days after the examination. More information on on the GRE can be found at the ETS website at: 

Free GRE General Test Preparation Materials are available online from ETS:

Online Guide to Taking the GRE:

International Admissions
All applicants who did not graduate from schools in native English-speaking countries are required to provide adequate proof of their English proficiency before receiving admission to the University of Houston. A satisfactory score of 550 on the TOEFL paper based exam or 213 for the computer-based exam or 79 on the Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) is generally acceptable proof of English proficiency. 

The minimum required IELTS score for admissions is 6.5 on a scale from 1 to 9. Applicants are expected to complete the Test of Written English portion of the TOEFL whenever it is included as part of the exam. Scores must not be more than two years old. Scores should be sent directly to the university from the testing center and photocopies or other duplication of scores are not acceptable. When sending scores, be sure to include the University of Houston's ETS School Code, which is 6870.

You are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if you:

  • Have earned a high school diploma or bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited U.S. high school, college or university.

  • Speak English as your native language. This exemption refers to students from Australia, the Bahamas, and Belize, the British Isles, and English-speaking Canadian provinces, the Fiji Islands, Guyana, Jamaica, Liberia, New Zealand, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Trinidad, the United States, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies and Zimbabwe.

More information about International Admissions may be found online at: 

UH College of Education